During this season when the weather drops and while we’re still in this pandemic, there’s nothing more comforting than a familiar home cooked meal.
I’m always searching for ways to enjoy my favorite dishes with consideration of my dietary needs. Gluten free noodles is definitely a staple in my pantry so I can enjoy pastas with less discomfort.
Typically, jarred pasta sauce is filled with wheat and other fillers, along with sugars and various ingredients I can’t pronounce, so I usually have to revert to making my own. I was excited to find the Vero Gusto By Barilla Pasta Sauce that includes all-natural, simple ingredients. Homemade doesn’t mean every element of the dish has to be scratch made! Of course I add my own razzle-dazzle with fresh basil, chopped garlic, and cayenne.
As a change up to standard beef meatballs, I opt for ground chicken meatballs filled with Cajun and Italian seasonings. To hold them together I use ground brown rice flour instead of bread crumbs, as gluten free alternative. Be sure to add in a egg to maintain moisture in the meatballs as they cook.
Spaghetti & Chicken Meatballs
A little twist on an all-time classic
- 2lbs ground chicken
- 2 jars Vero Gusto By Barilla Pasta Sauce (I use the tomato & basil flavor)
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup EVOO
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup brown rice flour (or breadcrumbs)
- Tony Chachere’s Spice N’ Herbs Seasoning, to taste
- Italian seasoning, to taste
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 package of Barilla gluten free pasta
- Fresh basil, chopped for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and coat with 1/4 cup olive oil.
- Use your hands to combine the ground chicken, all seasonings, eggs, almond flour or breadcrumbs, and remaining olive oil.
- Pinch off chunks of the ground chicken mixture to roll into meatballs, and arrange on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- Bake meatballs for 20-30 minutes until cooked through and lightly browned.
- Add pasta sauce to a wide pot or deep skillet. Add in cayenne pepper, and garlic and turn heat to medium. Once sauce starts to simmer, add in meatballs, spoon sauce to coat the meatballs, and cover with lid for 10 minutes.
- Plate pasta and add sauce and meatballs. Garnish with fresh basil and serve.