This mushroom chicken recipe is savory and loaded with aromatic garlic and herbs, in rich coconut sauce.
During these times of working from home, we’re all searching for more quick meals that can be prepared between meetings and juggling household chores!
This recipe can be made with chicken breasts or thighs, however, if using breasts make sure to pound them down to equal size to enhance tenderness of the poultry by breaking down the meat fibers.
If you have the time, coat the chicken in olive oil and rub generously with seasoning, and place in fridge for at least an hour to marinate.
I combine olive oil and butter together in the pan and sear my chicken at high heat for about 5 minutes on each side. I set them aside, and toss in my mushroom and herbs until fragrant, and then stir in coconut milk to add in the sauce.
Add your chicken back in the skillet for a few minutes and you’re done! Service with rice, mashed potatoes, and/or your favorite vegetable!
Cajun Mushroom Chicken
One skillet and 30 minutes to deliciousness!
- 3-4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 1tbs olive oil
- 2tbs salted butter
- 8oz baby Bella mushrooms
- 1/4 cup onion minced
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 1.5 cans coconut milk
- fresh rosemary
- fresh thyme
- Italian seasoning, to taste
- Garlic powder, to taste
- Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning, to taste
- Place saran wrap over chicken and use a meat mallet to pound down the chicken breasts into about ½ inch thickness.
- Coat chicken lightly with olive oil and season with Italian seasoning, garlic powder and Tony Chachere’s. Place in fridge for and hour (if you have the time).
- Heat butter and oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Sear chicken breasts for about 5 minutes on each side. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Add mushrooms and onions to the pan and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Stir in the garlic and let cook for another minute, or until fragrant.
- Reduce heat to low and add in the coconut milk and herbs. Let sauce simmer for 1-2 minutes or until sauce begins to thicken. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Return chicken to the pan and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Serve with pasta, rice, or mashed potatoes!